Thursday, July 12, 2012

Interesting Quotations

I went to my public library today, and I picked up a couple book,of course all Civil War books,but the one that I starting looking at first was "The Oxford Dictionary of Civil War Quotations." The book is set up wonderfully. It has a name, and the Civil War quotations that they said, and underneath the quotation, there was a sentence of when the quotation was said or wrote, compared to a major event during the Civil War era. Let's start with a couple of my most favorite quotes from the beloved President, Abraham Lincoln.

(A little fact, Abraham Lincoln did not like his first name, so in most letters that he wrote, he would sign his name, A. Lincoln)

This is the Signature that Abraham Lincoln would use, when he signed, Informal documents.

1. "Slavery is founded in the selfishness of man's nature-opposition to it in his love of justice. These principles are an enternal antagonism; and when brought into collision so fiercely, as slavery extension brings them, shocks, and throes, and convulsions must ceaselessly follow."

             ~Speech in Peoria, Illinois, October 16, 1854

2. "I do not stand today pledged to the abolition of slavery in the District of Columbia."

             ~Speech in Freeport, Illinois, August 27, 1858

3. "To the best of my judgement I have labored for the, and not against, the Union."
  
              ~Speech at Springfield, Illinois, October 29, 1858


After I examine some other quotations, I will post them.



This is the Front cover of the Book.

No comments:

Post a Comment